Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Dreads, Berlin & Culture Appropriation


So, I like to think of myself as a person who has seen and appreciated things that have originated from African Culture being


accepted, explored, and inspiring to people not of its descent. That's why I was pleasantly surprised by the numerous people in Berlin WITH dreads who I can only assume don't identify as being African, Black, Caribbean, or even Rastafarian. Again I can only ASSUME.

While in Florida I can probably count on my hands the amount of people that were not African, Black, Caribbean, or Rastafarian who wore dreads. I can dwindle that number to only account for my left hand if I take OUT the ones who wore them because they were "In-Style" or "Hipster.

There is an instant vibe in Berlin that makes you know people do things here because they genuinely appreciate it.  Dreads in Berlin are not exclusive to a counter-culture of out of control teens, ex-cons, ganja smokers, or thugs as the American Culture often associates it with.

 Identity here is very much associated by interest and not race. So I am not surprised to see a Turkish woman, an Asian man, and Dominican woman in an American inspired Hip-Hop Club like 2BE.  I don’t know if I have been here long enough to say everyone who does adorn the historically black hairstyle know its origins. But… I do think I have been here long enough to know the city is culturally awake enough to not attribute the hairstyle to Kylie Jenner.(no shade, kind of) Which is a very good attribute btw . Way to go Berlin !

No comments:

Post a Comment